Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nearly neverending lunch saga

Today our cafeteria didn't really have much for a vegetarian (even the spinach had bacon in it), so I decided to order Chinese. I went to the website, thinking it would be easier to explain what I wanted, and the menu wouldn't load. We have old versions of Internet Explorer at work, so I thought fine, I'll try my phone. The mobile site worked fine up to the point where I submitted, and then it froze for minutes on end. So I called them and when I got to asking technical website questions was passed to someone who explained that I was using an old website through a third party and I should try their new website. So I went to that, got all the way to the end of ordering, and got a whole bunch of HTML code when I submitted. I called back and explained the situation, and went ahead and ordered via phone, but even then, the computer glitched in the middle and she had a little trouble with it, plus she was new and apparently I ordered something that had been on the online menu but was no longer actually on their menu, as I found out when the driver arrived (he was her husband). Undaunted, they had run over to the Kroger in the same shopping centre and bought eggplant to make my eggplant with tofu in garlic sauce. Because it had been a $12 minimum for delivery, I also got spring rolls and kung pao tofu, with the idea that I'd have food for dinner also. But from the time that I initially tried to order to the time I actually got my order, two hours had passed. But I must admit, that eggplant was the best I've ever tasted. Later, I was talking to YKWIA about some errands I needed to run for them, and he asked me to bring food from the same place. I drove over, called in the order, ran into Kroger for a few minutes, and then picked it up. As usual, they were very friendly and the owner was there. I explained the problem earlier. He said that the company that does their website was working on the code glitch and he was very sorry I'd had trouble. I went over to my friends' house and we ate, and of course the food was wonderful. I've eaten there several times and especially in the last year or so, when the new owner took over, it's been great. I've talked to him before at length about how they use very fresh food and have revamped the menu items and recipes. This was the first negative experience I've ever had, and it wasn't a matter of dining, just a coding glitch coupled with a defunct website that Google directed me to. Otherwise I would highly recommend them. They are Jin Jin on Chinoe Road.

YKWIA and I watched the final three episodes of 'Todd and the Book of Pure Evil', and while it is sad that there will be no more, it was a fun romp while it lasted. Also, I was satisfied with the ending, which both wrapped things up, yet left room for more episodes.

When I got home I started the bread machine, texted with Brandon awhile, but fell asleep, and just now got up and took the lovely herb bread out. This is the first time I've actually had dill seed like the recipe calls for, and it's wonderful. I think I'm going to bake another loaf for YKWIA and A. Okay, I think I'll do a few things before heading back to bed. Good night. It's been an interesting day, to say the least. But I handled it well, despite being a little hormonal (I listened to the Black Eyed Peas' 'Where is the Love' on the radio while driving into work this morning and spontaneously cried at the lyrics so no particular reason.) :)

No comments: