Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 22, 2011

Why is it a big surprise

that Apple and Google can track you on a GPS phone? What did they think GPS was for, just so they could play FourSquare? Hello, people, that was a no-brainer, as is the fact that once you have data, the police and other law enforcement authorities can get a warrant for the records. What do people think all those little applications do, and if the applications can keep track of where you are, surely the big honchos can, too, right?

Gee. Having just purchased a GPS phone, I knew this going in, before the wave of stories and righteous indignation of users started. I bought it knowing my location could be pinpointed and tracked. It's a no-brainer, and I don't know why people think it needs a big disclosure statement from the companies. Oh. Right. We have to put warnings that coffee may be hot on cups for stupid people, too. Don't get me wrong, disclosure is great. But these are companies who make money by amassing information, and I don't see how people can be so naïve as to believe that they won't do anything with it. Do people trust corporate America more than their government?

Okay, I'm obviously cranky. I'm going to go nap.

No comments: