Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 22, 2011

I got it!

I managed to walk out of the T-Mobile store only $50 poorer (for a deposit), with a free phone, an unlimited talk/text/data plan, and protection for the phone. It's a very low-end Android, the T-Mobile Comet, like I had planned on getting. I love it so far.

So far things it won't do but that's okay because I've never used Android:

  • Multi-touch pinching to zoom in and out.
Things I've figured out how to do already:
  • Make a call.
  • Take a call (hey, it is a phone primarily, right?)
  • Download music from my computer to the memory card.
  • Use the music player.
  • Use the FM radio player.
  • Use my Gmail.
  • Use Twitter.
  • Use Facebook.
  • Use the camera.
  • Check the news and weather.
  • Use Google Reader.
Applications I added:
  • Google Sky Maps (although drat, it's cloudy)
  • Compass
  • Advanced Task Killer
  • Amazon Kindle
  • Antivirus Free
  • Barcode Scanner
  • ColorNote
  • Dictionary
  • OnTrack (Diabetes monitoring)
  • Pandora
  • Google Reader
  • Wikipedia
  • Plus a battery consumption widget

It already came with most basic applications like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Weather/News, etc.

The phone is tiny, good for my hands, but still easy for me to read what's on the screen (thank the Gods for bifocals, I guess). I've learned to use the Swype keyboard pretty easily, although let me tell you, going through the tutorial on the bus was fun, with the bumps. :) It will change orientation from portrait to landscape, has a GPS, etc. The main drawbacks are no flash for the camera, no pinching zoom (you can tap twice, though, or use the zoom buttons on the display). Since I'm going from a feature phone to my first Android, I don't find those particularly annoying. It's certainly not fast, but I found mine more responsive than in the review videos. The phone was free with contract, $125 without, so for an Android 2.2 system, I think that's great.

No comments: