Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 15, 2011

Ah, those college memories

Maybe because I loved Mr Moose on Captain Kangaroo (although my absolute favourite part was Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, as apparently I was fascinated with the British even then), I really enjoyed a tradition at the University of Kentucky that happens a bit before the Kentucky Derby called, not surprisingly, the Little Kentucky Derby. One of the features of the celebration is to drop thousands of ping pong balls in the area of the Patterson Office Tower from a helicopter, where students (and probably a few faculty as well) scramble for them in the hopes of winning a prize.

The tradition faltered but was revived a few years ago, and this year's ball drop made it into the campus newspaper, the Kentucky Kernel. It brought back fun memories. I always felt sorry for the physical plant people, who were probably finding the things for months, and of course it's probably not the most environmentally sound thing to drop three thousand plastic balls to the ground, but I have to admit, I always had fun.

No comments: