Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Sorry to hear this

University of Kentucky begins laying off 'significant' number of employees
The University of Kentucky has begun laying off a "significant" number of its roughly 14,000 employees, a process that is expected to continue this week and next, according to university officials.

"It is a painful exercise to implement significant reductions in our workforce," UK President Eli Capilouto said in a campus-wide email sent at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. "But there simply is no way to patch over the holes in our budget with temporary measures or one-time sources of funds any longer."

UK, Lexington's largest employer, employs about 2,500 faculty and 9,000 staff. An additional 3,000 employees work for UK Healthcare.
Speaking with one of the library administrators for one of the campus libraries the other day, I know she'd lost several positions, and she indicated that the job I applied for would probably either not be filled or be filled by the tech already working in the consumer health library. But I guess it is better than I wasn't hired and then, due to lack of seniority, let go. I may have two and a half years to find a job, but at least I have one now. My condolences for the UK employees who are losing or reducing theirs.

No comments: