Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bully for her

Breast cancer survivor can now swim topless in Seattle's public pools
Jodi Jaecks, the 47-year-old breast cancer survivor who made local headlines this week for wanting to swim topless at a Seattle-area pool, had tried many things to soothe the nerve pain she suffered following a double mastectomy and chemotherapy last year.
Drugs, physical therapy and specific pain treatments all failed to ease the burning caused by chest-wall nerves that are over-stimulated by the trauma of surgery. So when the facilitator of a breast cancer support group suggested she try swimming, Jaecks jumped on the idea.
"Water sounded soothing," she says.
Unfortunately, she couldn't find a women's swimsuit that didn't irritate her pain further. She asked authorities for the ability to swim topless; she has neither breasts nor nipples. At first they cited the idea that it would not work in a family-pool situation. Then a local paper printed a picture of her nude from the waist up, and the authorities relented, with a promise of reviewing other requests on a case-by-case basis for now, but perhaps eventually opening it up to all breast care survivors.

I understand nerve pain a bit. There are times when my feet are burning and painful, and I have to take my shoes off because I can't handle anything on them. Even the slightest touch is awful. But I can discreetly take off my shoes in public, especially if I keep them under my desk. It's a little different dealing with the chest nerves, and in her case medicine did not work. Anyway, I'm glad she got to swim after all.

No comments: