Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 18, 2012

It's alive!!!

I'm listening to Pandora Radio over my TV, thanks to the little tiny purple box connected to my TV from Roku. It's working fine. I've also linked my Netflix account. There are bunches of free channels, too. This is fun.

The only two things that are kind of difficult in my situation is 1) I have an extremely old TV (I got it in 1993 from my grandmother, who died later that year), so in order to plug in the video/audio cables, I use an RF modulator. Usually that is for my DVD player. So if I want to watch a DVD, I have to unhook the cable from modulator and switch to the one going to the DVD. 2) Even though there's free content, some channels are paid subscriptions, so they require a valid credit card for purchases. I only have a debit/cheque card, which works, but of course, that's linked to my bank account. On the other hand, I did set up a PIN so that I wouldn't accidentally purchase anything. So hopefully that works. They also let you use PayPal, if you don't want them to be holding onto your card info.

I'm such a geek. In addition to news, weather, Netflix, Pandora, and the free movie channel Crackle, I added NasaTV as a channel. :)

Now I have to figure out how to go back to normal cable, which I have (for now). I'll give it a little time and see how I like this, and if it's a viable alternative.

No comments: