Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 11, 2012

I don't normally post on Sundays

what with the house cleaning, game, and the biweekly shopping we do on that day, but last night I was quite simply incapable of it. In fact, the game, I'm sorry to say, was called for diabetes.

I had not felt well through most of the day; I had not slept well and my allergies were especially bothering me, and my neck, too. But I felt better in the morning and then once my chores were complete, started to feel, well, fading. I hadn't eaten, so I took my blood sugar which was about 250, took my insulin, and ate a peanut butter sandwich. I perked up for awhile

Normally I bring string cheese and crackers to the game, but I really couldn't afford them this time, and I'd told Brenda she might want to get the crackers, as she's fond of them. I didn't mention the cheese because she hasn't been having some issues and hasn't really been eating it, and I didn't see any reason for her to get something she wasn't eating, and the game master sometimes eats them, sometimes doesn't, so I've been the person mainly consuming them.

Brenda brought food, her normal, some very good grapes and blueberries. Grapes, in particular, are fairly high in sugar (the blueberries are kind of low on the glycaemic index), and I ate quite a bit, and didn't have the cheese to anchor it (ideally, when a person, but especially a diabetic, eats, they should have some protein with the carbohydrates, and also some fat. That's why peanut butter and crackers are a good snack). Or so I was told in my diabetes class. It has something with the rate of how each is broken down int the body. Apparently I'd been balancing my intake of fruit with the cheese, so although my blood sugar tended to run a little higher than normal on Monday mornings, it wasn't affecting me to the point of inability to function. Unfortunately, I just had fruit and crackers, without that balance, and my blood sugar shot up to 356. I was having trouble thinking, was falling asleep, couldn't process well and could only approach problems emotionally. I felt physically beaten down and slightly ill. When the others realised what was going on, and the game master asked if I needed to stop, I was actually slurring my words some. I took some insulin, but only had 12 units on me. Brenda took me home, and I took some of the Lantus (I had forgotten the dose the night before, which surely didn't help) while I was waiting for the Novolog to reach room temperature, then in about an hour took some of that. By the time I went to bed, it was back down to 250 or so. YKWIA checked on me a couple of times, and then I went on to bed fairly early.

This morning I felt hung over. My blood sugar was about the same. I took my Lantus this morning and then when I had breakfast (a piece of bread with peanut butter and a bit of spreadable fruit), I took my Novolog. By lunchtime it was 172, definitely better. I expect it will head more towards normal because I started my period today, and it always does then. I asked our dietitian about that. She says it has something to do with the oestrogen levels affecting insulin resistance. I wish we could do that all the time. It's the only time I'm quite normal, although I'm usually better than I was this weekend, that's for sure.

The day was rainy, especially in the morning, and I was rather blah when I dressed, which was rather Goth, all in black with a black onyx pendant. I started out the day stressed because of the sheer amount of work I needed. I took a later bus than normal, making me 15 minutes late, and stayed a half-hour over my normal time as a consequence, getting as much as could be done today finished, and catching up on quite a bit of my work. Despite feeling blah I got a lot done, and tracked down several referrals, got a few more started, and phoned a lot of places, and did a lot of charge sheets.

When I went to go home, one of my co-workers gave me a ride home and asked me if I would like to go to Texas Roadhouse, her treat. Since I wasn't exactly sure what I'd be eating and had just had one more peanut butter sandwich and some pita chips that day, I took her up on it. It was a great meal. I love their grilled salmon, baked potato, and salad combination. We had a nice time, and her daughter, grandson, her daughter's friend showed up a little after we did as well. Then she took me home, and it was the most relaxed I'd felt all day. I really needed that. I came home in a very happy mood, and rested for a bit. Now I'm up and considering washing some dishes. I fixed some oatmeal to eat tomorrow morning that I can just put in the microwave to reheat. I have some packages of tuna I can take tomorrow and some salad makings I can fix tonight. Thank goodness we get paid Wednesday night. I have $3.00 in my bank account, exactly, counting the one cent in savings. :)

I think next week I'll definitely take the cheese and maybe a small thing of vegetables that I can snack on so that I don't eat too much fruit. Kroger has small veggie plates with tomatoes, celery, broccoli, and carrots that would work fine, and the others like that too. Or I may just get some veggies and make my own. We'll see. Maybe I'll start with one of theirs so I have the thing to put the others in later.

PS Yesterday was my day for minor injuries. I got a pretty decent scratch on my hand and wrist from the puppy (whose claws were trimmed later that day) and at some point during the game, I dropped my pencil. It looped in the air, scratched the inside of my middle finger enough to draw blood and require a Band-Aid, and then fell to the floor. I am a danger to myself (not so much to others) through my klutziness.

Well, that was a fairly long post. Maybe I'll read a bit, too. I'm working my way through a collection of Cthulhu Mythos short stories. Good night.

No comments: