Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 30, 2012

I've finally cooled off

I got a little later start than planned today, as I woke up at 9 am after a 14-hour crash in which I dreamed of all the minutiae I do at work, so I didn't feel as rested as I should have. Then I got a quick shower, dressed in the coolest possible clothing, shorts and a thin shirt, and headed out. While I was at the bus stop waiting I put on sunscreen on in the hopes that it would help, especially by the time I got to the farmer's market. I went to the bank on the bus, then over to Kroger's for bread, cream cheese, yoghurt, and bananas. I got back on the bus after a ten minute wait and rode to the stop by the library. I walked over to the farmer's market and bought tomatoes (both regular and pear), a pepper, zucchini, summer squash, a couple of cucumbers (no wax!), some new potatoes, and a lavender plant. Then I trundled home with everything, melting in the process, as it was about 11 by now and 88. I stopped by the leasing office with my rent, got home, stripped off my wet things (they're still damp even now, 3 and a half hours later), got into something else, ate some pear tomatoes (very juicy and good), got a sandwich, and played on Facebook for a bit, then laid down in front of the fan in the bedroom and got gloriously cool, falling asleep for another three hours. This time I dreamed that Brandon and his mother came over to this other apartment where my mom lived, and my dad was visiting. Very odd.

Now I'm up and I just ate some cucumber and tomatoes with a bit of salt on them. It's officially 101 ( a record) and possibly will warm up further to 103. Heat index is definitely above 105. There's a chance of a storm, which might be good, but one knocked out power in Eastern Kentucky, meaning no air conditioning for me, so I'm not sure I want to even think storm thoughts. I thought about going and getting a cola from the laundry room, but it isn't worth it. I'll drink ice water; it's better for me anyway.

Okay, I think I'm going to water my indoor plants and then read for awhile. Hope you're keeping cool!

No comments: