Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, June 15, 2012

Not to sound like a loon

But sitting next to the new wireless router, my head feels distinctly unpleasant, and has from the moment I plugged it in. It's like there's a hum in my ears and head that is hard to describe. I'm also vaguely nauseous, but I had heartburn earlier so that may be it. I have issues next to giant transformers, too. I'm hoping I'll get used to it, and I've put it a little further away from where I sit next to the computer. I thought that I might just be odd, but other people also claim to have physical sensations when they're around radio or other electro-magnetic fields.

I cancelled the upgrade to Amazon Prime today, mainly because I actually read the terms and conditions and you're not supposed to sign up with a debit card, just a credit card, and my card is a Visa cheque card. I like the fast shipping (I ordered the router on Wednesday night at about 11:20--it shipped at 3:30 am, and arrived 10:30 this morning.) But I didn't want to really pay $79 all at once, and I'd rather keep a little cushion this payday without overspending.

I also bought a new surge protector for the television and assorted equipment, because when the Roku box comes there was no place to easily plug it in. This is labelled nicely with the various types of equipment, included surge protection (it was just on a regular extension box with a wind-up cord, like you'd use outside with power tools), and even includes a place to put the cable in and out to provide protection.

That's about all the major shopping I plan to do this month. Everything seems to be working pretty well. The wi-fi connexion is really fast; I downloaded an update to Angry Birds: Space in no time flat. I have it secured, but also have a guest account in case someone needs to use it, like my step-dad, for example, when they come over. Not that a lot of people actually come here, but it's there should it be needed. The installation went well, despite the fact my old Vonage router was in the mix. Yay for looking up things online when the manual doesn't explain enough.

Okay, everything's installed; I think I need a cold drink and maybe a peanut-butter sandwich.

No comments: