Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Well, I voted, for what it was worth

Election problems minimal by mid-afternoon Tuesday; turnout looks to be 'abysmal'

We simply aren't having much in the way of interesting races here in Kentucky, except maybe a bit in Northern Kentucky. On my ballot, and on the one a friend voted on? President of the United States: Obama or uncommitted.

Here in Kentucky you can't cross party lines to vote in the other party's primary election, either. Not that I would, most likely, but still. So if you didn't care for your candidates (assuming you had any), there wasn't much alternative.

They're thinking voting will be at 10-12%. I'm thinking it may be even lower. So why did I go vote? Well, Joel Pett's editorial cartoon in the Lexington Herald-Leader today pretty much sums up the apathy, and I for one don't want to be among the apathetic. In it there is a polling place with no voters and cobwebs on the machines, with lonely election workers with nothing to do. One says to the other, 'I guess most people need a better reason than that they can.' We should never, ever take that right for granted, and should exercise it whenever possible. Just saying....

No comments: