Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sometimes I think the universe laughs at me

It wasn't a big thing. I just wanted a diet drink today. But when I changed purses, I realised somewhere on the way to the bus stop that I hadn't moved the change (which is the only money I have until I get paid tonight) in my purse pocket to the new one. So all day I had a lack-of-caffeine headache and was sluggishly trying to move along, although it took some effort. I also forgot to bring my lunch, although I had some peanut butter at work. I did have about 40 cents in my pocket, and so I as able to buy a couple of pieces of bread for a peanut butter sandwich, and then later I had some tuna, but that was all for the workday. I found myself thinking, 'I know it will be six o'clock by the time I get home, but I'm going to have my cola.'

So the bus was 15 minutes late, and I finally got home, and looked in the purse, and lo, there were no quarters to be seen. It was then that I looked in my wallet (which I had had with me all day today) and discovered that at some point before today I had transferred them. So that's a forehead smacking moment.

Then I walked over to the laundry room, pressed the button to make sure it was not sold out already, and then fed the coins in and pressed my selection again. It went through major gyrations, but no cola came out and it said proudly, 'Sold Out' on the small screen. I got the change returned and sadly walked back to my apartment.

So, no cola. Oh, well, they're not good for me anyway. But yes, I firmly believe the universe was laughing at me.

On a brighter note, I came back and made some basmati rice and some chickpea curry I found in the back of my cupboard. It was delicious. Also, I had a little milk left over from when I had it for cereal, so I went ahead and had that with my meal. So everything turned out okay, although I still have my headache.

No comments: