Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

So I was thinking today

that it is time to get some new shoes that actually feel good to walk in and match my outfits that I wear at work. I'm hard on shoes because of my supination (tendency to walk on the outside of the foot), and they lose shape after awhile, making it worse. I have a pair of shoes that are decent but are a little long for my foot and I've had them for awhile now. They're Reeboks, and were free (someone was giving away things from her grandmother's closet), but they're white and don't go with anything but my jeans. Basically, they look like running shoes, whereas the black shoes don't look so obvious, and I almost always wear black pants at work. I used to wear the Reeboks and then change into my black Birkenstocks at work, but where the Birks have soft cork soles, they're now worn down at an angle, putting stress on my ankle tendons. So that's really not an option anymore. Besides, the podiatrist told me it was important to wear lace-up shoes that would give me the support I need.

When I got home, there was a coupon in the mail for New Balance shoes for 20% off plus free shipping, and I decided it was a sign. So I ordered a pair of shoes and paid much less than normal. These are black, very similar to a pair I had before but a half size up, 7 2E, as my feet have gotten longer as I've aged and the last pair were a bit too short. They are approved as a diabetic shoe, as well, and are built to keep the feet even, rather than supinating. That, along with my orthotic inserts, should help. I told myself that one of the things I would do with my tax refund was take care of my feet, so this worked out well.

No comments: