Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Randomly up

It's not my feet, for a change, they feel great, it's that 'monthly visitor' as they used to say and I'm cramping. So what's a sleepless girl supposed to do? Blog, of course.

I had a nice relaxing evening, went to bed a little early but not exceedingly so, and all in all it was a nice ending to a nice day. This whole week so far has been great. The feet feel fine, I'm eating better--and I've lost something like eight pounds in the last week and a half. My blood sugar was only 201 fasting this morning, which is high, but considering it's been running near 300, much better. I'm doing better about taking my meds, especially the Lantus. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warm. I think I'll try to take a walk around the hospital grounds.

Getting the tax refund means I got my rent together on time (yay!). I'll take it by tomorrow. That frees up my next paycheque immensely, as I have just a few smaller bills that come out of it, and that means that I'm 1) going to pay off a debt and 2) put some money in my savings--yes, the savings that has had one cent in it all year. (Someone laughed at that when I told them yesterday; the thing is if you have money in an account and take all of it out, they often close the account if it's on the money; if you leave a bit, they don't. So at some point I had money in there and raided the account (yes, that defeats the purpose of savings, I realise), and left a cent in there). I'm not going to specifically call this a car fund. It's also a 'save up for the loss of job fund' and 'general emergency fund', something I haven't had in awhile.

I'm keeping track of my expenses to better do a budget with as well. I only have two main variable expenses--my electric and food. I think I'm going to see about getting on the budget plan with the electric so that's one less variable. My electric runs between $35-$100 (although this year it's been so warm it's been more like $65). I'm going to try to pay off some old debts and start payments on my student loans (I was in forbearance while paying off the IRS, as I couldn't do both at the same time. That starts back in March or April.) The idea is to try to repair my credit, which has been sucky from years of old debts, some of which go back to my time with my ex, and that was over 20 years ago. I can't be sued for those, but they never really go away unless you take care of them. I have paid off a few, but there are still more, and I'm finally in a position where I might be able to whittle them away very slowly. The student loans will take a big chunk out of things, even with income contingent status, so we'll see. I need to get an updated credit report to figure out who has what debt--they sell the things so it's not like you can easily take care of it.

So the idea is take a month tracking expenses so that I can better allocate them for budgeting. And then I can work out whether I can continue to save and pay off debts, etc.

Okay, I'm back to getting sleepy. I'm supposed to be up early so I can do some things around here, since I didn't do anything last night. Good night again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It’s true! You can’t run away from your old debts. The only way to have a smooth cash flow and credit record is to pay all your debts on time. Avoid overdue payments as much as possible, and avoid letting other people use your credit card.

Cinthia Mull

Unknown said...

Debts are always something that keeps on haunting people. And the only way to avoid it is to properly manage your finances. You can also ask for professionals to give you advice and financial plans that will certainly aid you. Anyway, it’s nice that you’re taking the initiative to track your budget. Keep it going!
Bobbi Burtch