Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's been the morning for phone calls

I got two bits of bad news within five minutes of each other this morning as I was doing my laundry. One, a person I know was fired after 23 years of dedicated service at the floral shop he worked for essentially because his health is poor and no doubt he's costing them in insurance. 'Well, you're slowing down. We don't want you to get ill.' Phooey on them. I hope their shop runs into the ground. He was the type of employee that came early, stayed late, and managed to keep it together through the intense pressure of times like Valentine's Day, when florists are as busy as accountants at tax time. Unfortunately, wrongful termination claims are difficult to prove. But that was just wrong of them to do, and I hope their shop goes under, to be quite honest.

Then there's a friend, a former co-worker, who called to check up on me because he saw someone who looked like me at the bus stop, which he could see from his hospital window. He's very sick with complications of pneumonia. He's pretty young, not yet thirty, but this is really doing a number on him. True to form, he didn't focus on his problems, but was asking how my grandmother was.

These two people need some good thoughts winging their way to them. I know they're in my prayers.

No comments: