Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, November 27, 2010

I'm not a football fan by any means

--or pointy ball, as a friend puts it. But I remember when I was a freshman in college, in 1984, I went to a few games and we had a really good football team. That year, the University of Kentucky and University of Tennessee game was played in Knoxville, so it wasn't one I went to. But they were big rivals, and UK won.

It was the last time UK won against Tennessee.

Even now. They lost again today, the 26th consecutive loss. The current coach was actually a player back when they won.

UK basketball tends to shine; football tends to be somewhat well, a joke, although sometimes it's better than others.

I kind of feel sorry for them today. When (and surely it must eventually happen) the streak is broken, there will be such celebration, believe me. Despite football's problems, there are dedicated fans who tailgate and cheer them on at the stadium, wear the blue and white, listen to the band, and generally stay through the whole thing even when it's abysmal. Here's hoping next year they'll fare better.

No comments: