Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 27, 2012

I had some insomnia last night

lying awake in bed for the longest time, finally falling to sleep around 4 am and waking up at 8. So I'm still a little tired. But since I've been up I've eaten some Jell-o, written out a thank you card to my wonderful co-workers, put it in the mail box in the hall, moved some dishes to the sink, filled some ice cube trays and put them in the freezer, all very slowly and deliberately but I did pretty well.

Brandon's almost-four-year-old was horrified the other day that I wouldn't be celebrating Halloween. I told him I couldn't really pass out candy (I didn't tell him we rarely get kids in the apartment complex). At work we normally dress up and the kids come around the offices trick or treating. It's fun. Halloween is my favourite holiday, both secularly and of course it's also a pagan religious holiday, Samhain (that's pronounced Sow [like the pig]-un). I might try at least to observe the religious side this year. Benjamyn also volunteered his mother to clean my house, because as he rightly noted, it is messy and there is too much stuff. :)

I'm actually at the computer right now, with the little fan I had at work plugged into it that Jill brought me. Today I need to check on the status of my library books and see which are coming due soon, especially if it's before my next appointment

What I wish I could do today:
  1. Work on the aquarium. The pump is working, but there's a clump of greenery that is in the intake valve and it's not really circulating the water well. But I'm doing pretty well to feed the fish and water the houseplants here.
  2. Take out my trash and recyclables-they're starting to get full.
  3. Wash the dishes (I'm not quite up to that; perhaps soon, when I have better balance and feel more confident).
  4. Visit my friends and their pets. Right now, I'd get knocked down, and they dogs wouldn't want to be separated from me very long so eventually they'd knock into a painful spot.
  5. Deliver A's birthday present. His birthday is the 30th. He's catching up to me, 45. I could mail it, I have a small bubble envelope, but I don't know the postage and don't want to put a whole bunch of stamps on the thing that would either waste postage or not be enough and it be sent back. Even the absentee ballot took $1.10, and this would be heavier.
It's been raining outside and has turned cool, so I'm glad I'm missing that. I did turn the air conditioning off (I've pretty much kept a fan running somewhere every moment I've been in the house. I feel better if air circulates.)

I feel like I could go back to sleep. Mabye it's the lack from last night, or the medication, or the gloomy weather. But I'm already feeling sleepy. I didn't really nap yesterday at all, except maybe for fifteen minutes every now and then.

Okay, time to get away from the computer and get everything that needs to be elevated up. I think I'll stay in the living are for awhile, though--the light's better. I have a feeling before this is all over with, someone's going to have to stand on my bed and change a couple of light bulbs; it's gotten rather dim in the bedroom.

No comments: