Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Well, for better or worse, I put in for the extra day

I think I can manage the trip without spending much in the way of cash until I get paid, which will happen the first night I'm in Chicago. I called the hotel to make sure I would get the group rate if I went up early. The reservation clerk told me there were only 3 rooms left for that day. I talked to my boss, who approved the extra day (we had a miscommunication where he thought he had already done so, whereas I thought he was mulling it over). I sent in my travel request immediately and the folks in Chicago are starting to work on that. So, I committed to a three-day trip, and hopefully I'll get to do my sight-seeing. The museum I'm going to is only $35 for an all-inclusive pass to experience all the exhibits. I can buy a day pass for the L and buses at the airport. I plan on taking a cab back to the airport at the end of the trip, but that is reimbursable, as will my food on the last two days (some of which will be provided at the conference). I'll probably eat in the hotel on the first night and then go out with a group for dinner on the first day of the conference. So, yay! I feel much better today.

I also found out that part of my job is expanding somewhat in that I will be putting more entries in than I currently do. So, I'll have to make even better use of my time while still trying to do referrals, do all the data entry, and run the library. :) I'm beginning to think I should ask for a raise on the data entry job, as my 'added duties' are becoming a big part of my work life.

I got the package from Amazon today that had my friend's birthday gift and my desk fan in it. It's a five-inch black fan that folds up and runs on either USB or AC USB adapter. I got it approved by plant operations and then ran it this afternoon. It's got a little noise to it, but the amazing thing is, I did not become sleepy during my data entry at all. Normally I do, and I always chalk it up to my blood sugar being a little high, but I think the lack of air circulation tends to make me sleepy. I work in a fairly small cubicle, and sometimes it gets stuffy in the afternoon. This was like an instant wake-up pill. The fan only has one setting, but it was reasonably priced and seems to work well. It's angle is very adjustable. I'm seriously thinking of getting another fan (a bigger one) for the living area at home so I don't head to the bedroom to lie in front of the one there, or have to move it back and forth. Maybe then I wouldn't turn in so early.

Tonight I'm going to try to straighten up the house a bit. There's the couple of shows on TV I wrote about last night on; I may watch or DVR them.

Man, it's only 5:47 and the light is fading. Usually the sun is streaming through, at least when I get a ride home, like I did today. But soon it'll be dark when I leave and come home from work--daylight savings comes to an end on the first weekend of November. Not fun. It'll be even worse. It's a good thing my winter coat is light blue; otherwise the bus drivers might not see me. I'll definitely be wearing it tomorrow morning--tonight it is supposed to get down to the upper 20s to low 30s with a frost warning out My little pepper plant is in, with a few peppers started on it. I hope it does well for awhile.

Okay, time to get away from the computer for awhile. After all, I spend most of my day on it. :)

No comments: