Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, October 28, 2012

I don't know

If my skin is dry, or just where it's not been technically bathed in awhile, or if I am at risk for skin breakdown from being in bed so much right now, but most of the entire back of me is itching. This leads me to conclude it's not the medicine, which would presumably affect my front equally.

I am keeping as much as I can clean with the baby wipes, but I can't reach my back. I shift position and get up and sit for awhile each day, and I have baby lotion for dryness. But I searched online for prevention of bed sores anyway. Since I am my own caregiver, and I am not trained medically, things that nurses or nursing aides know are not so obvious for me. Fortunately there is the Internet, and I am skilled at evaluating information sources.

It is the middle of the night, and I am awake, but I did sleep about five hours and feel better than I did. I very rarely just lie awake in bed like I have of late--usually when I have a bout of insomnia I am up at the computer. It makes me wonder, as I lie here, staring at the ceiling, what babies think when they are quietly in their cribs doing the same thing. We reflect on our experiences. What do they do, with their limited backgrounds? I would love to know what goes on in minds that young.

Okay, I'll check the news and try to go back to sleep. Good night.

No comments: