Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, October 14, 2012

I have not read the news for two days

One thing I am glad to hear about is the physical improvement and increasing support within Pakistan of Malala Yousufzai, the fourteen-year-old peace activist and advocate for girls'education who was shot, along with two classmates, by the Taliban. I meant to write about it here, and then well, you know the rest. I don't do cutting and pasting well on the tablet, so I won't link to a particular story, but I did manage to get her name right should you want to search.

I can't imagine living in such a repressive environment as that advocated by theTaliban, nor can I understand why anyone would try to kill a child for daring to suggest that all children should be allowed to go to school no matter their gender. School was such an important place for me as a child. I can't imagine not having that. My best wishes are for their recovery, and for peace and access to education for boys and girls alike in her country.

No comments: