Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Woke up this morning

when the sun was properly up and realised that I had set my DOCLINE account (the service through the National Network of Libraries of Medicine through which we order interlibrary loans) to 'away' at least until the 30th and, but didn't reject the two requests in my received queue. I tried to log in to it via the tablet but my 'finger memory' for the account and password doesn't work when I'm swiping on a tablet keyboard. So, I got up, made it to the living room, and had no problem getting in at the computer. I went ahead and received them, then rejected them as 'OTH' for 'other'. There really is no other reason that covers oh, your solo librarian got hit by a car, and won't be in for awhile.

So that's taken care of, and those requests can move on. The people who set the account to 'away' are in Chicago, meaning they're probably just getting to work about now, so I did it before the request was set. I was afraid the two requests would get stuck as a result--I've heard of that before.

Feeling good (comparably) so far, although it's early in the day. I woke up about 6:45, went to the bathroom, took meds, checked my blood sugar, ate, that sort of thing, and went back to bed. I have to get my blood sugar down before the surgery. I've not been as vigilant with the diabetes as I could be because I've, well, been a little out of it. But the diabetes has to be in the best control I can do before surgery, and I'll have to watch it closely here on out because it will affect my wound healing. Trust me, I don't want to go from broken bone to wound care, to amputation. I may wind up in a wheelchair temporarily, but I want to stress the temporary part if I can.

I wish I could do something about the house. It's not bad, but there's stuff lying here and there, and there are dishes to do, plants to water, bathroom to clean, that sort of thing. I might be able to get a folding chair and get it to the kitchen sink (I probably should do that when I'm bathing anyway, since I just have the walker and one supposedly good leg. The water for the plants I could put in a two-litre bottle and in a bag. But that does put off the balance on the walker. I don't know. I don't want to take the chance on falling. I keep my phone in my pocket just in case when I'm up, and Friday after my appointment I'm going to get a key made for Brandon (who can get here quickly in a car) and for YKWIA (who should just have one on principle). I haven't been putting the chain on the door. If all else fails there's an emergency number for the apartment complex that I can use in the meantime to get them to open the door. And if I fall and hurt myself any more, I'll just call 911. That's the plan. Here's to no falls. The next time someone is over, maybe I can have them water the plants and take that chair over to the sink.

Okay, it's been awhile since I took the short-acting insulin when I ate. I'm going to go take the long-acting one and hopefully read for awhile. I haven't really done any so far; I haven't felt up to it. But I have several good books to choose from. One is one of the Jim Butcher books, which are set in Chicago. Maybe if I can't go, I can at least go there in my mind, reading. :)

No comments: