Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Can someone tell me why---

when I buy a breast cancer stamp, 30% of the proceeds go to the Department of Defence???? Does that make any sense?

Breast Cancer Stamp Found to Raise Money

Okay...70% goes to the National Institutes of Health. I get that. Although it's a little disturbing that the accounting hasn't been particularly strict. I'm a fan of stamps in general, and semi-postals in particular. I buy the breast cancer awareness stamps and the 9/11 stamps (I didn't know about the domestic violence ones, or I'd get those too) because I like the idea of taking an object I need and buying one that also contributes to charity. I also donate part of my tax liability to good causes every year. But why the Department of Defence? Don't they get enough money from other sources? That sounds like one of those sneaky things politicians append to otherwise worthy ideas to me. Hmmm....

No comments: