Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 08, 2014

A pleasant day so far

I tried to give blood at the blood centre today, but got turned away because my iron was just under acceptable. It's happened before, but not in a long time. I guess it still isn't back up to snuff after the oral surgery or something. Or maybe I just haven't been eating enough spinach.

Frozen, however, was absolutely wonderful--great music, a good story, and really one of the best recent Disney films I've seen in a long time. I'm glad it and 'Let It Go' won Oscars. There was even a short cartoon beforehand, that mixed old-style and new animation seamlessly, and it was pretty fun.

After that I went to Meijer, still trying to find some de-icer to pay my neighbour back. I think I'll just leave what's left (about half the bottle) as well as $5 and a thank you note. That's the second place I've tried without luck, and while I've been told to go to Wal-Mart, I don't spend money at Wal-Mart.

So now I'm back. The weather is lovely. I'm considering opening the windows. It's 57, and while that's maybe a little on the cool side still, I think it would be nice to get a breeze in here.

I got some quarters at the bank earlier so I can do my laundry tonight. So here are my plans (subject to change) for the rest of the day:
  1. Take off my shoes and do a little more reading.
  2. Take the things out of the trunk that make it hard to do grocery shopping and clean out the car in general.
  3. Take my friend to the grocery.
  4. Help him wash his dog.
  5. Do the game notes tonight.
  6. Do laundry tonight.
  7. Watch 'Grimm'.
We may not be playing the Cthulhu game tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll work on the house, although really the laundry is the main problem. Oh, and I should run a load of dishes. If we do play, I'll still have done the important stuff today.



By the way, I am so glad I did not read the New York Times review of the movie before going to see it. The reviewer, Stephen Holden, reveals the main plot twist in the very first sentence and the ending itself later in the review without so much as a spoilers alert to be seen. Many of the comments reflect the annoyance of the readers for this. Shame on him. If you're interested in reading the review, it's From the Heat of Royal Passion, Poof! It’s Permafrost: Disney’s ‘Frozen,’ a Makeover of ‘The Snow Queen’. But if you plan to watch the movie, skip the review before going. Also, keep in mind that while Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Snow Queen' is referenced in the credits and certainly inspired parts of the story and characters, this is no adaptation and is not so much as a makeover as much as an homage, perhaps, in the same way that the White Witch of CS Lewis could be said to be based somewhat on the Snow Queen and yet it is not the same story at all. But I glad they did reference it. Hans Christian Andersen is an author I like quite a lot, and not just because we share a birthday. :)

No comments: