Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 25, 2014

Up for a bit

I decided it was time to:
  • Go to the bathroom for the first time since early, early this morning
  • Get a bite to eat (veggie sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit)
  • Take my insulin
  • Take my oral medications
  • Ice my knee
and generally try to get back into a routine. I'm finishing up the last of the Diet Root Beer YKWIA gave me after surgergy, which was very welcome. Believe it or not, when I did that grocery shopping yesterday, I didn't get soda. A didn't want any, and I decided water would probably be best.

I walked over to the hospital this morning, which meant both knees were in pain before the surgery. The one is, now, even with the pain pill they gave me earlier, but it's not horrible. I can walk a limited amount of time on it, like from one end of the apartment to another. Getting up and down is best done in a sort of straight-leg fashion, leaving most of the bending for the 'good' knee. When I'm elevating my knee, though, I tending to rotate the knee out a bit, and my feet go out on the pillow. That happened with the ankle surgery and it was fine, but the knee seems to hurt worse when I do that, so I'm trying to prop it up in ways it won't rotate. My knee apparently has the equivalent of Band-Aids on it, but is wrapped from above the knee to my foot in an ACE bandage. I'm looking at my post-op instructions, and if I wrap the area with plastic wrap thoroughly and keep the incisions dry, I can shower tomorrow. I'll do that while A is still there, and probably use the shower chair just to be safe. I can then change the Band-Aids. It sounds like if I can tolerate the pain enough without the meds in a couple of days, I should be able to drive and hence return to work, barring any problems. Yay!

My stomach was just a tiny bit upset when I laid down in the bed after getting home, but the Pepcid they gave me before the anaesthesia did pretty well--I've never gotten sick from that or pain meds. I know one poor lady who had cancer and was given pain meds that made her throw up horribly.

Apparently the main reason my surgery was moved is due to the need for latex precautions. I react to latex, usually as itching, but I once had a dentist who re-gloved with latex gloves and my mouth and tongue began to swell. So they're fairly careful with me now. At the time, the dentist wound up taking me to the sink and rinsing my mouth out with soap, which stopped the reaction, thankfully, bu it tasted horrid.

I managed to get up by 4:15 this morning and finish a lot of the home stuff that I couldn't the night before. The only two important things I forgot were to take out the trash (I'm going to ask A to take it out--I put it all together and got it ready and then walked off without it) and then putting on deodorant, which I rectified a little while ago. Funny the little things that slip your mind and then bug you later.

Okay, I'm still a little sleepy and I should really be elevating this knee now that I've eaten. Actually, I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. Back to bed! Hope your day is going well. It's so odd to be off from work on a Friday. Have a happy weekend.

No comments: