Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Today's 'ewww' story

So YKWIA called me at work and asked me how long I keep my contact lenses in at a time. I told him just the day, that technically I'm supposed to be able to to sleep in them, but I don't, and I take them out each night and clean them overnight. Mine are disposable, and I throw them out after a month or so of wear. I also do not shower in them, etc. Why did he want to know, I asked.

Amoebas devour girl's cornea after contact lenses stay in for 6 months

Student goes blind after keeping her contact lenses in for six months and microscopic bug EATS her eyeballs

Once the lenses were removed, doctors discovered that her corneas had been eaten away by the amoebas. The girl had not taken her contacts out at all in six months, including while swimming and bathing, and contact with dirty water can cause the amoebic infection. The lenses, which reduce oxygen and act somewhat like a bandage, created the an excellent breeding ground for the amoebas. This is being used as a cautionary tale by doctors to remind contact lens wearers to practice good hygiene, especially in the summer months, as that is the most likely time for them to become contaminated.

So if you're tempted to keep your lenses in for more than a month at a time, and think it's a bother to change and clean them, then 1) remember this story and 2) contacts probably aren't for you.

No comments: