: A bit glum
T-2 days until electricity, T-1 till I get some money on my cell phone, so the abject poverty (as opposed to just normal lack of money) is almost over. I survived traffic school last night. I didn't really learn anything new per se, but it helped to be reminded of a few things, and there were some interesting anecdotes. I came out of there so OCD about my driving that I slowed down for green lights and signalled far too much in advance. I'm back to my normal decent driving today. Before the class, I got a lot of reading done on some of the options for carpal tunnel release and also got the first chapter of the Introduction to Logic class from MIT read. I also released my second book through BookCrossing at Kentucky Inn last night, right before traffic school.
I've lost a total of 26 lbs since July, not so much for trying but a combination of being a little mindful in the beginning and not having the money for junk later. But I have to admit, I feel better for it. I brought in some Slim-Fast for lunch today, not because I'm trying to lose weight, but because it's fairly balanced with vitamins, etc.
I've had a lot of puckish sense of humour moments, both my own and those of others, and generally I'm okay, but I'm just a little down. I did relent last night and let the animals sleep with me, so I may be a little tired; I didn't sleep as well, but it was worth it for the company and cuddle factor.
We had this e-mail floating around today and I'll include it. I think it's one of the reasons I'm a little down. I don't have a lot of good memories of high school and college. Feel free to leave your own answers in the comments.
1. If you could build a house anywhere, where would it be? Aberystwyth, Wales
2. What is your favorite article of clothing? A much-washed, much-bedraggled purple sleep shirt
3.a High School Memory? Well, I can't leave it at just one...here are the high or low points: Being dragged out of bed at 4:00 am to be initiated into FHA; Eating graham crackers and Duncan Hines frosting for lunch with Deana; Opening my locker to find fish guts in my biology book; Putting a fire out in organic chemistry lab by blowing it out after lugging the fire blanket over to the ring assembly as 'Burning Down the House' played; Having my entire body from the mid-back down fall asleep from leaning against a concrete wall during lunch whilst reading; Enjoying the wonder that is matrix algebra; Being called 'Orez' (zero spelt backwards) by a guy who in retrospect probably had a crush on me; Travelling about for academic bowl; Watching Mr Cottrell (the basketball coach) run his hands through his hair as he taught me to drive with his knees folded nearly to his face because it was a bench seat and hitting the brakes on his side the whole way, then, once he found I'd never been behind the wheel, weakly pointing to a church parking lot and croaking 'pull in here'.
3.b College Memory? Getting my thumb trapped in the hinge of a car door on an icy February night after going out to watch Beverly Hills Cop. After the girls started panicking, we ran over to UK's ER, me holding my thumb in place just in case. Being afraid they wouldn't treat me because I was just 17 and didn't know how to reach my mom at work. After much X-rays and debates over stitches (and much Dynasty for the girls waiting), I was sent home with a pressure bandage.
4. The Last CD that you bought/burned? Live, V.
5. Where is your favourite place to be? A friend's bedroom. It's very soothing, it has a couch, and his cat comes over and sits on me, starts purring, and I fall right to sleep.
6. Where is your least favourite place to be? Anywhere near crowds and clowns. Oh, make that Hospital Day. :)
7. What is your favorite place to be massaged? Wrists. They hurt a lot these days, and cramp up into my shoulders.
8. What is most important, Strong in Mind or Strong in Body? Strong in Mind. Which is good, since I don't think Strong in Body is ever going to be the case for me.
9. What time do you wake in the morning? About 9-9:15 am on weekdays, 10-10:15 am on weekends; i.e., about 45 minutes before I have to be anywhere. (Hey, I know it's late, but that's what happens when you have screwy work hours).
10. What is your favorite kitchen appliance? Quisinart. Which I don't have, but I love playing with someone else's.
11. What makes you really angry? Being treated like I'm stupid or worthless.
12. If you could play an instrument? I am instrument-challenged, but I can sing. I'd like to play the Celtic harp, but I'd settle for being able to do the Mountain Dulcimer.
13. Favourite Colour? Purple
14. Which do you prefer, Sports Car or SUV? Neither. Both are asinine. I prefer an electric-gas hybrid, such as the Prius or Honda Civic.
15. Do you believe in afterlife? Yes, and life again.
16. Favorite Children's Book? The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper.
17. What is your favorite season? Spring
18. If you could have one super power, what would it be? Manipulate things on a molecular/atomic level. You could do practically anything, with incredible ability to heal or destroy.
19. If you have a tattoo, what and where is it? I don't have one. I can't get past the 'but what happens when I'm old and wrinkly?' bit.
20. Can you Juggle? Only when the 'stars are right'.
21. The one person from your past you wish you could go back and talk to? Me. I'd love to slap some sense into myself and undo some of the damage before it happened.
22. What is your favorite day? Sunday, because I get to save the world from extradimensional horrors (or, play in a roleplaying game).
23. What's in the trunk of your car? My laundry (from Thursday, groan). A car emergency kit with everything from first aid, jumper cables, air compressor, flashlight, to coupons for free road service). My spare. Another spare (full-sized, extra tyre)--can you tell I've had bad luck with cars and want to be prepared? Windshield washer fluid. Ice scraper. Map and tools folder. Caddy.
24. What do you prefer, Sushi or Hamburgers? Um. Neither, really, although I can handle cooked or vegetable sushi. Wasabi, however, is wonderful. And I have bad associations with hamburgers beyond the whole dead cow thing.
25. Who did you receive this from? C first, I think.
Today I have a computer to fix, but I also have something great to look forward to...Charmed's season premiere. So, we'll see how the rest of the day goes. :)