Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Today so far

    The Good:
  • I woke up a very comforting kitty who was acting like a feline heating pad, always nice when you're cramping.
  • I've applied for two jobs today and I'm considering a third (it's in Louisville, which means a pretty heft bill for gas for a seminary position that may be full or part-time, doesn't list its salary range, and although I do have the required skills plus the added bonus of ancient language knowledge (Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, even) and a good grounding in religious studies (especially Hellenistic/Judaic/Christian) I'm not sure they'd like a Pagan employee).
  • I'm going to be able to pick of my medication tonight, yipee!
  • My mom called to check on me last night. I didn't get a chance to talk to her (I'd accidentally left the phone in the car) but I'll try to reach her tonight. Apparently we were on the same wavelength.
  • I got several things ordered for work, helped someone navigate an unusal copy job, and possibly helped negotiate a deal with Ovid so we can keep our institutional online access to our core journals. So it's been a productive day despite the fact that I'm not feeling so great physically. Which brings me to...

    The Bad...
  • I'm very, very tired (oh, hell, I'm exhausted). I haven't had more than 5 hours of sleep for days and can't seem to sleep when I have the opportunity. I think it's partly lack of meds, so that should improve.
  • Last night I was parked on a slope with the gas tank on the high end and couldn't get the car started when I went to pick a friend up. I was able, with his help, to walk down to a gas station and get a couple of gallons. I am now the proud owner of a 2-gallon gas can, or at least once I pay him back. It used to be you could just put a deposit on one at the station and bring it back. I'd put $5 in on Monday and another $1 yesterday, but to no avail. I think my gauge is a little wonky. The light does this thing where it comes and goes immediately after it dips below a fourth of a tank, and you just have to hope it doesn't dip too low. I'm thinking the intake to the fuel line must be situated oddly on a Taurus, because every change in level seems to make a difference. Note to self: Park on the street if the only place left on the parking lot is a 45-degree angle. :)
  • I managed to douse myself fairly thoroughly in the process, so since tonight was a worship night and I needed to bathe anyway, I had extra reason to get clean.
  • All I've had today is water and a few Hershey's Kisses, since I was out of most portable food at the house and haven't had much chance to cook some beans or something up.

    and the Ugly.
  • I'm having a very weird hair day. Maybe it was the gasoline. Maybe it was sleeping on it after the bath and not bothering to comb it. I'm not sure whether it's a good hair day or bad one, but it's rather ugly. :)

Still, I'm feeling better overall. I talked with D about some things that were stressing me out, and that always helps. Neither she nor E were up for the great gas adventure last night. Bless her heart, I did call her on the off chance I could just leave the car and get a ride home and she fell asleep whilst I was talking to her. :) But she helped pick up my mood today.

Well, that's all for now...I'm off to take out Cerys (so there won't be a repeat of contemplating walking five miles in the middle of the night to make sure my poor dog can go out) and maybe get my CPAP machine, in case I get the chance to nap later at a friend's. Yesterday I fell asleep during a brief wait, and caught myself snoring. So, I definitely need to take care of this deficit. Still, soon it will be the weekend and maybe I can play catchup. And in the meantime, I have a lot of love and caring in my life, and money stuff can be endured where the lack of such a caring environment can't, right?

No comments: