Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 23, 2004

A bit of humour to brighten what started out as a sucky day

Yahoo! News - Court Rules a Horse Is Not a Vehicle:

The dissenting opinion, by a judge with a sense of humour and quite a talent for rhyme:

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
but the Vehicle Code does not divorce
its application from, perforce,
a steed as my colleagues said.
''It's not vague," I'll say until I'm hoarse,
and whether a car, a truck or horse
this law applies with equal force,
and I'd reverse instead.


Personally, I'd rule that no, a horse isn't a vehicle. A vehicle doesn't drive around on its own when you let it. A car doesn't kick you when it's upset at a drunken lout, either. This would fall under public intoxication, as far as I'm concerned. But I do love the ditty. And to think, all those lawyers who have to quote the judge in other cases. In front of a courtroom.

No comments: