Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I have found one other bug about the Windows 8 upgrade

When I set my time in the tiled interface's settings, it shows the time as three hours later than it really is, even with Eastern time chosen. But if I choose Pacific, it worked. Unfortunately, it then translated all of my times from Google Calendar into the calendar app as three hours earlier than they are supposed to be. So I went in the old fashioned way (through the desktop) and set it that way, and now everything is working. Still, it's an odd bug.

While I was looking for instances of that on the Internet I found the following:

Windows 8 killed my PC
Windows 8's growing pains could deliver a major blow to Microsoft's already dwindling market value. The company has bet the farm on the success of its new operating system as well as its new Surface tablet and Windows-branded smartphones. But with a lukewarm reception by users and sporadic issues with system migration, it's possible that Microsoft may soon have to make a lot of awkward, value-destroying apologies about Windows 8.

It has been just three weeks since the launch of Windows 8 and the new operating system has claimed at least two victims: 1) Steven Sinofsky, the head of the Windows division at Microsoft and 2) the, Z580, my relatively new Lenovo laptop.
Cyrus Sanati's laptop was just three months old, and couldn't handle the new operating system. He makes some very good points--and he's not a lowly blogger like I am. He's writing for CNN: Money. I will say Microsoft support tried to contact me by Twitter, but in the forums I saw a lot of blaming the users' systems and in some cases users who let Microsoft remote in and the system was now unusable. I don't think they're addressing the user experience in a way they could. Now I have a functional computer, with a few glitches, so I won't complain too much. But I lost of lot of programs, too. Thank goodness I got Office on, at least. But I'm running Office 10. What if it were an older version? And it's the gitches that make things a little more ominous. I mean, if you buy a computer or device with Windows 8 on it, then you avoid the whole install problem, but if the system is still buggy, than why buy one? I'll stick with Android for my mobile devices, thank you. And keep an eye out for odd things on my computer and see if with the updates I can get installers to work that aren't now.

No comments: