Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Sorry I haven't posted

Tuesday night I fell asleep rather early. Today I went to the downtown Fourth of July festival and met up with Brandon and his family for the parade. Then they took me over to the house of some other friends and I watched a couple of things, including 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency', which was very good, and an episode of Kim Possible, which was fun. I wish all our archenemeses in the game could be like Dr Drakken. Although thank goodness we don't have Señor Senior Senior's spinning tops of doom.

Then I helped with a couple of things on the computer and Brandon and family picked me up and we went to the fireworks over where I work. It was a nice 30-minute display at the Idle Hour Country Club, which is across from the hospital where I work. The hospital has this huge front lawn where people congregate and watch the fireworks.

I did tell someone that fireworks were not allowed on the hospital property, or for that matter anywhere in Lexington, with the ban on personal fireworks still in force. She was like, 'Oh, I didn't realise those were fireworks.' Let's see, one-foot long sparkler thingies putting out lots of sparks onto dry grass, and this seemed like a good idea?

The crowd was pretty good overall. A dog got away from his owners at one point and they were chasing them down. Someone brought their pot-bellied pig, and was carrying it as it snorted away. A lot of people came down to watch, more I think than last time I was there. There were even cars parked on the median of Richmond Road. We could park in our hospital parking lot thanks to my badge. :)

Thanks to Brandon and Angenette for all the ferrying they did today, and to their family for letting them borrow a car for the holiday. I wasn't looking forward to trying to catch a bus in all that mayhem, and the bus route didn't even run by their house since they were on a Sunday schedule. And I think the kids really liked the parade and the fireworks.

After I got home I took a shower and cleaned off all the sweat (it was a record high of 99 degrees today), sunblock, and maybe a couple of bugs (I flicked one of those big brown beetles off my shoulder when I got into the apartment building, before going into my apartment). Fortunately I don't seem burned. I bought a floppy mesh hat at Gabriel Brothers yesterday that I wore and put lots of sunscreen on myself, including spraying the back of my neck. After my shower I sat down to compose this, but wound up talking to a friend for about an hour and a half or more on the phone. So I'm just now posting.

Funny, despite the ban, quite a few people were lighting fireworks this evening, but it quieted down by the time the ordinance states. So they'll at least abide by the times even if shooting the fireworks during the ban means a $100 fine for a first offence plus more measures if it causes a fire with property or personal injury. Go figure.

I hope all my American readers had a good and safe Fourth of July. And, please remember, fireworks are not toys:

Fireworks Deck Explosion Injures 9 In N.H., 2 Toddlers Severely Injured

No comments: