Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 09, 2012

So glad I'm home

I had one of those days at work that fly by, leaving you wondering if you actually accomplished anything, even though you stayed busy. In other words, I guess it was a typical Monday. But three things made me sad/bothered me today:
  1. I did my weekly weigh-in and I weigh more than I ever have. I haven't broken the 300 lb mark but I'm very close at 297.
  2. A chief of staff emeritus, who was very instrumental in creating the library in the first place, asked if the exploratory committee that is looking into moving the hospital had incorporated the library into their plans. I had to tell him that although I'm not 100% sure about the collection, my position is not going, and I'm assuming the library itself will not be either. He was sympathetic and more than a little disappointed, I think.
  3. Given these two things, I decided to clear by head by taking a walk during my break around the parking lot. My, how sad. I walked only a half a mile in 13 minutes. My feet bothered me, but the real kicker was my lower back, which was awful. I averaged 2 1/2 miles an hour, although I started out a bit too strong at 4 1/2 (but that was downhill). After I came back in, I had some water and a V-8, but my head really bothered me. And I had to use my inhaler. So in other words I'm a total fitness wreck. I've never been in shape, really, but I've never been this out of shape, either. But I guess you have to start somewhere.

On the way home, I was really craving some fresh veggies, so I made an impromptu stop at the store only to miss the bus by seconds, and the next one wasn't for another hour, so I walked home, heavily laden. I got home just as the next bus was pulling out of the station, but probably about 30 minutes earlier than I would have otherwise.

So, all that plus being up from 6 am till 1 am yesterday (I cleaned my friends' house, we went to get mulch, we went to Kroger, and then we played until 11 pm or so, and then I talked on the phone with the game master till one in the morning as part of our weekly debriefing, if you will) means I'm very tired. I have things to do, but I'm going to lie down for just a bit to stretch out my back, with a pillow under my knees to help. The plan is not to go to sleep, but let's face it, I probably will. But with any luck I can get up and get things done a little later. We'll see. Carrying laundry is not going to help my back, I know, but some at least has to be done tonight or early tomorrow morning. And there's that book review, and I really don't want to put it off. For now, though, I'm going to take some ibuprofen and my foot medicine and prop myself up on pillows to try to get a little more comfortable.

No comments: