Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 19, 2012

One more post before going to bed

So, the pie tastes pretty good, although I'm not sure it will win any awards. The bourbon is there but rather subtle, I think, with the nutmeg being a little stronger. The crust on the bottom of the one I tried was a little tough, yet flaky; I think it may have been because that was the one on a cookie sheet; the other I lifted partway out of the pie pan and it looked lighter and better.

By the way, when dealing with custard pies, I found two secrets to making sure the bottom wasn't mushy. One, you can brush some egg white on the crust before baking. Two, this recipe called for me to bake the crust for a few minutes at a higher temperature (in this case 400) and then put the filling in and bake at a lower temperature (in this case 325). That part of it worked out well; there was no mushiness. Also, the one thing I almost forgot was to tent the edges of the pie with aluminium foil to prevent them from burning. Again, that mostly worked, despite the fact I was putting them on slightly after I put the pies in the oven. :)

Okay, I'm going to write a note to myself to put the whipped cream in the bag with everything else tomorrow morning so I don't forget (obviously it has to stay in the refrigerator till then). The nutmeg's in the bag already. All that's left to do is put the one pie in its plastic encasement and put it in the fridge. Come to think of it, I think I'll just put that in the bag, with the whipped cream and nutmeg, and put it all in the fridge--it won't hurt the nutmeg. Okay, sleepiness has finally caught up with me. And with that, I bid you adieu. Good night.

No comments: