Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I feel like I've slept a full night

Which is good, as I was sick to my stomach when I went to bed, had a headache, and my feet hurt, despite the medicine.  I woke up and shut the windows.  It's a little cool, although still in the 50s, which is better than the 30s the last few nights,  and rainy outside; I can smell the moisture.

Today I gave blood and it was a good experience; she hit the vein in one. I told her that I needed to take her to my doctor's office, as I often get stuck three or four times before they get one, usually with a butterfly in my hand, and with the doctor himself.  She said I had a monster vein.  Unfortunately, it is the only vein, so if it rolls or they blow it, there's not much blood that's going to come out anywhere else with phlebotomy.  A funny thing happened when the intake person was taking my blood pressure. It stuck at 100. Just sat there.  She had to call someone else in to do it, and it was fine.  And for once my blood sank in the solution and they didn't have to spin it to find out my iron levels. Go, Zippy Zoo Children's vitamins!  They had some country music on and the Reba McIntire version of 'The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia'. The phebotomist was singing to it, and I joined in, at that took up most of the time that I was having my blood drain into the little bag. :)  I know all the words, having learned it as child in the Vicki Lawrence version (although they are slightly different--one says 'Papa', the other 'Daddy', so I adjusted to Reba's version).  Here's the latter:


I was looking at the related videos on the Vicki Lawrence version and then through the various others and there were several I loved as a kid: Jennie C. Riley's 'Harper Valley PTA, Barry McGuire's 'Eve of Destruction', Bobbie Gentry's 'Ode to Billy Joe', Terry Jacks' 'Seasons in the Sun', Paper Lace's 'Billy, Don't Be a Hero', Zager and Evans' 'In the Year 2525', Joan Baez' cover of 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' [originally done by The Band], The Animals' 'House of the Rising Sun' and 'Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood', The Rolling Stones' 'Paint It Black', and one you never hear anymore, but I loved, Paul Revere and the Raiders' 'Cherokee Nation'. But the one I found that just made my little heart leap was 'One Tin Soldier' by The Original Caste (I'm more familiar with the version by Coven that was featured in the film Billy Jack.) These are the types of songs that shaped me into the pseudo-hippie chick I am. :)

PS One more, to chill out with before the evening's through...The Moody Blues' 'Nights in White Satin'. :)

No comments: