Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 30, 2012

A late night gathering spot is gone

and this is just another reason I don't care for megachurches, where megamoney seems to be the issue. And I feel sorry for the employees, who found out Sunday was the last day they'd be open, the same day the auction company came for the booths and other fixtures. Perkins was one of the few places open 24 hours for years here in Lexington, and it was a popular place to go and get breakfast in the wee hours. They had wonderful omelets and muffins, especially.

Perkins Family Restaurant closes, legal battles settled

The dispute was over the lease, which was brought into question after Southland Christian Church bought the Lexington Mall property, including the restaurant's location. The owners said the lease lapsed and the restaurant should pay double for the time it had remained there. The restaurant alleged that they had an agreement with the former owner and had tried to work things out with the new owners regarding the lease. Instead of continuing through the courts and proving their case, the sides reached a settlement that meant the restaurant had to close, and the employees are now out of a job. Every single person I have either talked to or read comments from was negative toward the church. One person on the comments in the story regarded the church as 'GodMart'. They're taking a former shopping mall and making it a satellite to their megachurch which is at another location. While I'm glad the mall will no longer be sitting empty and falling down, I just don't understand how any church really needs two large facilities and thousands of congregants. I also was not impressed when I tried to get help for a friend whose family was facing eviction due to health issues and they basically said they wouldn't help, with the implication being that it was because he wasn't a member of their congregation.

Please understand that I'm not against churches--but I think once you reach a certain size and affluence, there's a tendency to forget what a temptation money can be, and how the love of money, by their own scriptures, is corrupting. What church needs a food court? I also know that if I were Christian, I would appreciate having the chance to know my fellow congregants and not have to watch things in a stadium-like setting with giant screens in my worship of God. Also, I guess this makes me more thankful that I've received so much notice about my own position's elimination.

No comments: