Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Which sounds better for a pie contest at work?

Transparent Pie with Brown Sugar Meringue, which is basically a form of Chess Pie with Meringue, or Bourbon Custard Pie, which is basically what it sounds like, with a tablespoon of Kentucky Bourbon in it? I'm not really a cook, but I'm a reasonably good baker, or at least have done well in the past. They're having a pie contest to have a bit of fun at work on the 19th, and I'm considering entering. What do you think? Do either of them seem nummy? I'm not a big bourbon fan (at least in bourbon balls), but it's a nice nod to our region. I love chess pie, but in an age of salmonella in eggs, I'm not sure about meringues these days, so I'm leaning towards the custard, although 1) I'm very good at meringues and 2) it could be left off. I'm going to ask the dietitian at work what she thinks about food safety and meringues. And yes, I know, diabetes and pies don't mix. I'm not actually planning to eat the pies anyway, just let others enjoy. And yes, I found a recipe for what looks to be an excellent pie crust as well.

No comments: