Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 21, 2012

I can tell it's going to be cool and rainy tomorrow

by the pressure in my sinuses and aching all over. There are a few kinks to getting older, but I guess it beats the alternative. Fortunately, the Gods created man, and man created ibuprofen.

I was going to go to bed, and did actually sleep for a couple of hours, given that it was a long and productive week, but now I find my mind racing about. See, I applied for a job yesterday that I think I would be really good at, and I'm hoping for an interview (of course), so I'm running through interview questions and answers in my head. That might be a bit premature, but never a wasted exercise, I suppose. It's a consumer health library here in Lexington, with a good salary and benefits. I meet all the qualifications, I have the experience and the expertise. I work really well in teams and one-on-one, and I'm very good at interacting with people from all walks of life. But I tend to give bad interviews, mainly because I get nervous. But if I'm called for an interview, I'm going to try to stay as relaxed as possible. One thing I've learned over 15 years of being a librarian (with some help from YKWIA)--the people you're talking to are basically the same as you. They have hopes, aspirations, dreams, rent or mortgages, kids, pets, issues, whatever. The permutations are individual, but there's still a kinship. They're not God just because they're highly skilled surgeons or in a position of authority over you. They are simply human, with the benefits and foibles that come with that. So, I'll try to keep that in mind. It makes it ever so much easier to talk to a group of people asking you questions.

Today Lindsey, the woman at work who gave me so many rides, gave me one last ride home. I helped her carry her stuff out to the car. If I could get the above job, we'd be working for the same employer, but it's a much bigger workplace (the university). :)

Tomorrow I'm going to go over to visit friends for awhile. There's no need to do game notes this week; I finished them last week and just have to transfer them so they're portable.

Wow, maybe I just needed to blog to relax--I'm starting to get sleepy. At least I got up and paid the cable, phone, and electric bills. Hope your week went well and that your weekend will be fun.

No comments: