Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 19, 2012

9,503

That's how many steps I did today, which was an average day in terms of walking. That's almost 10,000, so I feel pretty good about that. Maybe I'm not such a sloth after all. Well, I do walk very slowly, but at least I'm walking. I walked about 3 miles. Not bad, not bad.

The pie was a success. It wasn't the best, it didn't win a prize, but it was fun to make and it was well-received. There were only 1 1/2 slices left when I went to check later. I had the half slice, because I wanted to see how this one came out (better than the other; I'm glad I went with this one, as the custard came out to exactly the right consistency, the nutmeg was well-blended, and the crust was better), and then I gave the last piece away. Neither pie was particularly bourbon-y; it was very subtle, blending with the nutmeg and egg, giving it more a robustness than any strong flavour.

At the actual pie tasting part of things, I had a little just a bit (a dab of crust and a spoonful of berries) of a blueberry pie/cobbler that was made with Splenda. I really need to learn to cook with that. I would have, had I had more experience with it. One thing that the custard did though was the sugar crystallised on top, giving it a sparkling appearance. I'm not sure Splenda would do that for the appearance.

The rest of the day was quite busy and flew by quickly. I found out one of the co-workers who regularly gave me rides home when I was on the old schedule (the one I was with when the duck got knocked over, and who had the adventure with at the mall), has found a new job and her last day is tomorrow. I have something small I'm going to give her in appreciation for all she did for me. I wish her well in this new place, which will better utilise her background.

I'm tired, having stayed up so late, but someone sent me a job description and it closes today, so I really need to work on that before doing anything else. I'll try to write later.

No comments: