Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Trying to be a little proactive

I just joined Medic Alert, something I've meant to do for years but now that I have such a robust profile of diseases and allergies to my name and I am on even just a tiny bit of insulin, it made sense. It's $35 a year, and that's not bad for peace of mind in case I'm in an accident. I do keep a list of medicines (which I need to update a bit tonight), along with a copy of my living will, etc. on a thumb drive I have with me all the time, but health care workers are more likely to notice a bracelet.

I've eaten about 1600 calories today and put it in my food log. I feel pretty satisfied. I ate well (veggies, a little fruit, and quite a bit of dairy, although I had nacho chips and cheese for dinner, which wasn't the best fat-wise), and the only sweets I had were three small sugar free lemon cookies. I've taken all of my medicine correctly today, even the evening dose of Janumet I often forget. There's just the insulin tonight to take before bed. I also took off the boot and weighed myself today. I weigh 291.6 lbs. I'm concerned that the insulin will cause me to gain more weight, so I need to really watch what I eat and start exercising. I have an exercise bike borrowed from my grandmother. I'm going to try it out to see if it hurts my foot or not. I wouldn't think so; there'd be no weight put on it, really. Maybe I can start on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for a few minutes and work up to everyday for half an hour.

It's amazing what that leap to insulin will do for your willpower. I just hope I can keep it up. I really wanted pizza last night, but resisted, because I would have gotten breadsticks and eaten them plus maybe a slice or two of pizza and that would have just been too much.

Today I went to the pharmacy and picked up all my medicines that my doctor had called in. It's the first time I ever bought them all at once. It was $270. Gee, I was afraid I'd put too much into my flexible spending account. I don't think I have to worry about not spending enough. The scary thing? If you add up the actual cost of the drugs (what the insurance pays plus what I pay) it comes to $1,806.60. That's per month. I so need to keep my insurance! Aggh!

No comments: