Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 21, 2011

It's pretty, but I'm sick and tired of it


This is a picture I took this morning at the front entrance of work. Beautiful sky, snow sparkling in the sun (okay, you can't really see the individual ice crystals sparkle, but they were), and all that--and 12 degrees Fahrenheit. It's 16 right now. I will be so happy to see spring.

I didn't wear the boot on the way to and from work because I was worried about the inch of frozen slush underneath the snow (it came down fast and wet, and then powdery on top). I know it was only 3 1/2 inches and we've had worse, and you folks in the northeast are laughing your socks off because the wussy Southerner can't stand the cold or snow, but what can I say--it's been very snowy this year and we've only had a couple of brief breaks since Thanksgiving. It's normally not like this. Often the real snow doesn't hit until February--we were getting it in November and December.

Speaking of socks--okay, somewhat obliquely, the one drawback to the shiny purple boots is that they're not particularly warm. They're serviceable enough on a normal winter's day, but today my toes were frozen even with two pairs of socks on. The ankles and side of the foot are lined with a sort of fake grey sheepskin, but the soles are pretty thin. This makes it easier to pick your way on ice, for which I'm grateful, but cold on the soles of the feet.

So my poor feet have been cold and abused today as I went in all sorts of angles even on the broken one as I picked my way over snow-covered ice. I've been home for forty-five minutes now and they're still feel cold inside. Argh. How many days is it till spring again?

No comments: