Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book #4 for the year: Take Charge of Your Diabetes

Take Charge of Your Diabetes: A diabetes book that describes a completely new approach to treat diabetes by Sarfraz Zaidi, MD.

I can't say this is really a completely new approach; I've known about insulin resistance as the underlying issue with my diabetes for years. But...

I learned a lot, even so, especially in terms of how different drug classes affect the body, how supplements can really help, and certain aspects about taking insulin. His recommendations are fairly common sense: increase activity slowly by doing something enjoyable or making small changes like parking further away from your destination; make healthy changes in diet, watch emotional eating, and most of all don't beat yourself up to the point of giving up if you talk yourself into eating something you shouldn't. His ideas incorporate diet, managing stress, exercise, medications, and supplements, and they seem to be rather balanced given what I know about diabetes.

I would definitely recommend it to someone wanting to get a handle on diabetes, especially if they're new. It's especially good for asking questions of your doctor that you need to. It is from 2007 so there are a few things that need to be updated (he rightly talks about Actos and Avandia to be avoided in people with a tendency towards congestive heart failure, but since then the whole Avandia association with heart attacks has played out--that sort of thing.) Still, I think it's very useful, although of course I'm not a doctor, so I'm no expert.

No comments: