Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 31, 2011

I was transferring cards today

to a new wallet (brought by the wallet fairy--see below) and came across my bone marrow donor identification card. It said to contact them if I am a diabetic requiring insulin. Since I have recently gone on it, I updated my information with them. As I understand it, I cannot donate as a result, although I suppose if I went off it and had no complications, I might again.

This saddened me. I know it's so hard to find the right matching donor and I've been a potential marrow donor for years. But I think I got a little inspiration for the next monetary donation--the National Marrow Donor Program (http://www.marrow.org) has a thing called the Be the Match Foundation, which helps recruit potential donors, funds medical research, and provides financial assistance to patients who need help meeting their treatment costs.

Please consider signing up to be a bone marrow donor. Your gift could save a life.

No comments: