Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm back

My foot feels much better. I slept through my alarm till midnight and just did the insulin. My blood glucose levels have fallen significantly. They're still in the 160-200 range (rather than 230-300 or so); I expect my doctor will up the dose when I see him on the 25th.

Wednesday I get a bone density scan. That should be interesting. But at least it's non-invasive (I dread the post-50 colonoscopy), doesn't squish anything (must remember to get a mammogramme/pap smear next month when my cancer policy kicks in), and it doesn't sound like it'll trigger my claustrophobia like an MRI does (I have to have an open one, or they just have to put me under). I hope everything is alright; I've been reading the side effects of medicines such as Fosamax and Boniva and their side effects are numerous and disconcerting. Better than losing a lot of bone mass, etc., but still.... See, this is one of those drawbacks of being a medical librarian. I think I'll check out the literature to get a better idea. Someone I know was telling me about a friend who took one of those drugs and it thinned her oesophagus to the point that when she was scoped, she died. I know word-of-mouth tales of terror should not necessarily be believed, especially when told by laymen, but it's something to check out and then ask the doctor about if it looks like it's warranted.

Tomorrow there's really nothing on my list of things to do other than a bunch of interlibrary loans and sorting some book donations to see what I can use for our early literacy programme and what would be better off going to other departments. Oh, and pay my bills when I get home. And turn in an application for someone. And catalogue the last remaining texts from my book order. And change my medication information on my thumb drive. And deal with my student loans. Okay, maybe tomorrow will be pretty busy. :) Remember, I do all the library stuff for just four hours a day, the data entry for another four, and then by the time I get home it's 8 o'clock. Maybe I should do the home stuff tomorrow morning while I'm fresh. One thing about the insulin is that I'm waking up very clear and not groggy at all, and I've been getting up early enough to do stuff in the morning and actually eat breakfast earlier/take my meds before I go to work, etc. I've also been remembering to take my second dose of one of the drugs with my evening meal. Generally I feel much better.

No comments: