Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 01, 2011

It's not a resolution, but I plan to read more books in 2011

I read exactly one book in the first half of 2010. That went up exponentially with getting the Kindle in July, but even so, for a librarian and avid reader my reading is sorely pathetic. I remember during summer breaks when I would read six books a day. But as an adult, other things get in the way. On the other hand, I spent more time sleeping than any other activity since I went full-time, often sleeping 12 hours a day. I can be using that for other things, including reading. I take the following person as an inspiration:

Books I Read in 2010
I read 116 books last year. I was pretty impressed with myself. Then I did my taxes and discovered I bought 157 orders of books on Amazon, and then there are all the books I bought at actual bookstores, plus ARCs I got from BEA or colleagues, and all the books I received as gifts. Which means, I bought a lot more than I read. Not so good.

Then I moved. And in the process of packing up the TBR room, I discovered, the pile had grown (mathematically, this of course makes sense). I now have 705 books in the TBR room. Which means if I read a book a day, it will take me almost two years to read them all.

I doubt this is what my dad meant when he told me I should have a retirement plan, but it's the one I've got.

So here they are, the books I read this year. I didn't quite get to 116, but I got over 100. Favorites in bold, and yes some of them are re-reads. Sometimes, it just must be done. Even if you have over 700 books you haven't gotten to yet.

Click on the link above for the list.

I will: read, review, and keep track of the books I read in 2011 and post it here. I will also include if they are physical books I own, Kindle books, or library books.

Of course, I also need to majorly reorganise the thousands of books I own to some semblance of order. That will cut into reading time, but will make for a more pleasant reading environment.

No comments: