Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hmmm...relaxation

I finished the game notes about dusk, having gotten a late start on them due to the grocery run (and subsequent nap). :) Then I put the cable on the meditative music channel (essentially New Age music) and read Vampire Forensics for about an hour before succumbing to the comfy chair (I never actually went to sleep, but I just chilled to the music and am very relaxed, for a change. Even my back feels loose, and that's almost never the case.)

I'm reading about vampires because of the mood I was put in due to the notes. Right now the adventure (campaign, actually) we're doing involves a Lumley-esque story about a Baron and his castle in the Carpathians. It seemed natural to read about the history of vampires. In Vampire Forensics, Jenkins doesn't write chronologically, really, buy rather presents pieces of a puzzle at a time. I am finding it interesting. I highlighted one quote from Dracula (which I read once-upon-a-time and think I have among a horror collection on the Kindle) he includes. It's particularly good for Call of Cthulhu--as we play it, anyway, I thought. It's from Dr Van Helsing:
But to fail here, is not mere life or death. It is that we become as him; that we henceforward become foul things of the night like him, without heart or conscience, preying on the bodies and souls of those we love best.
Something to remember, I think.

No comments: