Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 03, 2011

Ibuprofen is my friend

One thing about getting older--aches and pains never really get better. And if you injure yourself, you'll probably never truly be right as rain again.

I know that sounds pessimistic. However, I've been in pain for a few days (and it's worse today) due to this very thing. You see, two or three years ago I had two stress fractures in my right foot. Even now it bothers me on and off. I guess I have arthritis or some such now. But lately it's bothering me every day, and I find myself limping. One of two things is in play here. Either I'm feeling the residual ache left from osteoarthritis, or the weaker points where the foot was broken may have fractured again. My weight is the obvious culprit. I'm beginning to think it may be the latter--it's just throbbing, and it doesn't quite feel like the pain I have in my back or knees from arthritis--it's sharper. I'll give it a few days and then if it's not better I'll make an appointment with my podiatrist. This is frustrating as I finally took care of the tendonitis and plantar fasciitis that was causing me so much grief for almost two years. At least with the new year I have money in my medical flexible spending account again.

I do not want to be in a immobilising boot again for the third year running, but it may very well be in my future.

No comments: