Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What I've learnt from keeping a food journal

this past week consistently:
  1. I tend to eat less (but we already knew that, didn't we?)
  2. Most days I ate about 1600 calories. A couple were about 2000. That's better than I've done before.
  3. I've done pretty well with balancing between food groups, although I struggle to get enough vegetables (They don't serve many at the cafeteria, and that's my main way of getting them since I don't go through them quickly enough as a single person at home. But I did get canned veggies last store trip, so there's some, at least--not as good as fresh, though.) I guess it's sad when a vegetarian (or at least pseudo-vegetarian, as I eat fish) doesn't get enough veggies.
  4. I eat a lot of whole grains and a decent amount of fruit. Even so, I could do better in the fiber category.
  5. I also eat a lot of cheese, so there's quite a bit of fat. But generally I keep it at 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. I need to edge the protein up and the fat down, I think.
  6. I eat way too much processed food.
  7. My nutrition is generally okay. I get enough of the major vitamins and minerals, but have to work on others. I do take a chewable multivitamin, though.
  8. I do really well in the dairy category.

I need to add exercise. Tomorrow I'm going to weigh myself to see if I've lost anything. Considering I was eating about 2500 or more calories a day, I've eliminated about 5500 calories. That's maybe a pound and a half. Not bad for not officially dieting, just trying to make better choices.

Okay, tomorrow's bone density scan happens at 8:30 am so I'd better go on to bed. Good night.

No comments: