Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I am trying to decide

whether I should ask off and go to Danville on Thursday.

PROS

  1. I get to see my aunts and uncles, after a little over a year. One couple lives in Texas, the other in Georgia, so they're not up that often.
  2. My mother should actually be awake this time.


CONS
  1. The Time of No Money is quickly approaching, and so I should save my gas.
  2. I have an MRI early that morning and I don't know how long it will take.
  3. Things are coming to a head regarding the library restructuring and I'm not sure I should take time off.
  4. I have errands to do that afternoon.
  5. I just went home a couple of weeks ago.
  6. I'm not sure how late everyone will be there that day--I get the impression it's a sort of overlap as they're each going other places after visiting my grandmother and mother.


Obviously the Cons outnumber the Pros--but I would like to see everyone. I'll think about it. I've written my mom to ask when they'll be there. I think that will be the deciding factor--if the MRI runs late there's no sense in going if I'll miss them.

I did check with the MRI place to make sure there was no radioactive contrast such as iodine. I didn't think so (the last one I had used gadolinium). I asked this because metformin, which is part of the drug I take, Janumet, for my diabetes, is recommended to be halted when performing radiologic studies with iodinated contrast media because both can impair kidney function and there is an even increased chance of the rare complication to metformin therapy, lactic acidosis. I overheard a group of nurses talking about this one time; it's the only reason I know about it. But I did think I should ask.

No comments: