Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Close encounters of the drunk driver kind

I was ferrying a friend home from work tonight when a black sports car without headlights on came flying down the road, went up on the median, struck something, then bounced off and continued down the road. The something turned out to be a respectably heavy sign that went across the median and landed right in front of my car. Thankfully it didn't go airborne into the windshield and I was able to stop before running into it. I took a chance, got out of the car, and moved the sign out of the road. A headlight from the other car lay there on my side of the median.

What I didn't see until a guy came running up to me with a flashlight asking me if I'd seen the other car was that the driver had ploughed into a car up at the light, sending them careening onto the kerb on our side of the road (I think they had been turning). Glass was everywhere, and their car was most certainly totalled (the wheel was no longer on the axle, really). The remarkable thing was they weren't hurt, beyond some bruising, 'cause he must have run into them full tilt. Another witness said the guy who hit them was bleeding when he went by them. They had to back up quickly about 100 yards to manage not to be hit by either car, apparently. I told the police what I knew. Last I heard they'd caught the car, had one person in custody and were looking for another who fled on foot.

On my way home, I saw the remains of another accident on Man O'War. It is apparently the scary drunken idiots' night. Maybe it's because the UK vs. Louisville game is tomorrow and people are drinking early--I saw plenty of tailgating going on when I drove by UK. I'm 99.9% he was raving drunk. I am so glad to be home. I poured out a libation of honey and wine to thank Her for our escape. A few seconds and it could have been so much worse for us. I was really calm through the whole thing. I'm pretty calm now, for that matter. 'Oh, someone tried to kill us and anyone else in his way.' But it's still a little disconcerting.

No comments: