Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 14, 2007

Listening to

(There's too many here to embed them all, but I've included links.)

Maroon 5 'Wake Up Call' Okay, it's about murder, but it's got a very catchy tune.

Alanis Morisette 'Crazy' Better than Seal's in my opinion; it's easier to distinguish the words (although Seal's video is more interesting--but he's nicer looking with short hair).

Phil Collins, 'In the Air' Eerie and a great song from the 80s.

Then with Phil Collins I started thinking of my favourite Genesis song, 'No Son of Mine'--I think anyone who knows me knows why this song is special to me...my own experiences with my father, my seeking to reconcile, and our final break are similar, with a gender difference.

Then there's Genesis' Peter Gabriel, whom I love as well. I was shocked to see him, well, old these days. But spry; he's aged well. :) Be sure to check out 'Solsbury Hill'.

Which made me think of Genesis' Mike Rutherford's Mike + the Mechanics and their 'Silent Running' (although 'Living Years' (which came out about the time my father's mother died, and I associate it with her) was probably by far more popular, I liked the futuristic quality of 'Silent Running, too)

Which brings me to the movie, Silent Running, which being made in the 70s means some cheesy effects with a dose of hippie values (Joan Baez sung the songs for it), but I love it. Bruce Dern does an excellent job of playing a man descending into madness. The highly environmental theme is just as relevant, if not more so, today--and what's not to love about three robots called Huey, Dewey, and Louie? Here's the trailer:



See how my mind works? Scary, isn't it?

No comments: