Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Well, that's relief



Spike Lee and Viacom have settled the lawsuit the director had filed to prevent the rebranding of TNN televsion as 'Spike TV'. It's not the stupidest suit I've ever heard of, but it's close. I mean, don't you have to be pretty arrogant to think that anything that coincides with your name is somehow trying to capitalise on your fame? And really, did his Momma name him Spike? I doubt it. I remember thinking that it would be like Madonna suing the Catholic church over the name of the Mother of God, or Sting claiming some sort of exclusive use of the name, or, I don't know, Britney Spears blocking a project called Britneyvision that didn't have anything to do with her image. Really...tsk, tsk. I'm surprised Mr Lee didn't sue Buffy: the Vampire Slayer for having a character named Spike.

I find that even though the new TNN is supposed to be "television for men"--and as one of my male co-workers said, isn't most TV for men?--I really like some of the programming with its mix of action and sci-fi. I never particularly thought Ren & Stimpy WAS suitable for children, and it seemed to appeal mostly to adult men. Stripperella is intriguing, although I haven't seen it. Of course my friends and I joke that whereas Liftime is 'television for women--and gay men', Spike TV will be 'televison for men--and lesbians'. So maybe that's part of it's attraction for me. I'm not exactly a 'girly girl'.

A couple of other things from the entertainment world, I would be derelict of duty, I suppose without commenting on the passing of Barry White and Buddy Ebsen. Barry White could make ANYTHING sound sexy. He was still fairly young--just in his 50s, so it was a bit of a shock to hear of his death. I grew up with Buddy Ebsen on TV--especially as Barnaby Jones. I think people tended to underappreciate him, especially because he played Jed Clampett.

Well, I guess that's all for now. It's back to work tomorrow, so I'd better go on to bed.

No comments: